Monday, October 24, 2005

Ejukation, edukation, ijukation

Of course one is always trying to educate oneself - or, at least to APPEAR better educated. Whether this means sitting down in front of the Hitler Channel with a bag of crisps and watching their all night war-o-thon or reading all the way to the bottom of a newspaper article, one is always trying to pick up facts that might be useful in the winning of free beer in pub quizzes.

Have of late been considering the various levels of education around and about. The office drones have a smattering of Os and As and there are a few degrees scattered here and there. There are even Doctors floating around the place. Usually these are easily identified by their distinguishing marks of beards and sandals - and that's just the women.

When it comes to professors, we cross into the category of 'more likely to be seen on telly than in real life' - bit like a Darlek.

While by no means worried about my own education (my CSE in Rural Science is coming into its own now that there is talk of getting an allotment - I mean, I can't recall a thing about trig but by Christ, do I know a lot about potting compost! - I'll say this for DHS, it educated you for lifeā€¦life in the middle ages and a largely agrarian economy perhaps, but life nonetheless) I do sometimes suffer from 'qualification creep'.

That is, there was a time when I wanted qualifications, then there was a time when I would have liked a Doctorate, then a time when nothing less than being a full Professor with not just a chair, but a sofa, would do.

Now, I realise what I really wanted all the time. I don't want to learn, I don't even want to be able to teach. I want people with qualifications to teach those without about me!

The strange thing is, the younger the student the more crazed the ambition. It's pretty acceptable to aspire to, say, writing something and then having it studied as a modern classic on the English lit. syllabus.

Pah! Sod that, I want - in my lifetime - to be a subject on the syllabus in every primary school history lesson! Not too ambitious I don't think. Just file me under 'M' between Robin Hood and Nelson!

As to how to achieve greatness? It's either got to be bringing about world peace OR a huge bung to somebody at the DoE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home