Monday, December 12, 2005

Pool and Pond and Utexasann

The one thing I told myself I wouldn't do when I started this blog was to talk about blogging. That sort of self regarding bollocks is like using the Hubble telescope to look up your own bottom (Uranus?).

But as I'm shutting down - here's an observation on the only blogger who left a comment and so the only blogger who's own blog I read - some girl from the States who has now shut down her own blog (for reasons I home are healthy, like she's decided to work on her tan or learn to ski or something rather than blog).

The interesting thing was that the majority of her posts fingered her as some sort of stereotypical neo-con Christian southerner and the majority of her posts were about longing to be on a beach instead of at a desk, something I think everyone (except those with a morbid fear of sand) can associate with.

There was, however, one post of interest - about sitting at a desk late at night and getting no answer when she called her mom or her boyfriend. She then went into this fantasy about strippers.

The thing is, of course, that unless her mom is actually stripping for her boyfriend or vice versa, she's got nothing to worry about. What was interesting was that she tied up in a paragraph both existentialist angst and the notion that everyone gets a little creeped out at night on their own. While I expect the latter from everyone in the world, the former was surprising coming from somebody who, on the face of it, you'd peg as a Christian and move on.

Here was interest and here was insight into somebody and that, I guess, is when blogging is at its best, presenting a point of view that's interesting and makes you think for a moment.

Naturally, I didn't leave a comment myself as 'you appear about as emotionally stable as a balloon in a hurricane' could, you know, be taken as a criticism rather than a compliment.

3 Comments:

Blogger magbp said...

well well, I'm not quite sure if I should be extremely flattered or completely offended. Quite frankly I didn't think you cared about anybody else's blogs but your own. And, as for the stereotype, what you see is what you get. I won't peg you as some crooked-toothed, fish-and-chips-eating limey who gripes about overly perky clerks...and, anyway, I guess I erased the thing out of disgust when I realized I have nothing exciting to say anymore. I started a different blog first and didn't like people reading my neurotic thoughts so I deleted it and started one that wouldn't upset anyone...except for myself and you, apparently, for being unoriginal. Maybe I'll start another one and not tell anyone about it. Then maybe you will realize there is more to the Christian girl from the South, or maybe you'll just see I'm just like you and everyone else in this world because if we were really that different and unique, we wouldn't read stranger's blogs, we'd be doing something else.

4:37 AM  
Blogger magbp said...

PS. and maybe I am as "emotionally stable as a balloon in a hurricane"

4:40 AM  
Blogger Macnabbs said...

'maybe I am as "emotionally stable as a balloon in a hurricane"'

Which was, of course, meant as a compliment.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home