Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas spirits

The BBC continues the broadcast of its excellent 'ghost story for Christmas' strand with repeats of the 1970s adaptations of the works of Victorian horror story writer M R James.

Shown late at night, these have effectively struck home to a point where, to paraphrase the great Charlie Brooker - 'at one point I was sure that I would s**t myself in terror, probably passing a substance hitherto unknown to science - raw fear'.

Watching 'a warning to the curious' last night and I knew exactly whet he meant. The problem was not so much the subject or the great programme itself, but rather that it is set on the North Norfolk coast, where I go on holiday! I've walked on the beach the ghost stalks, wandered in the wood where the ghost stoves in the head of the victim and ridden on the steam train that the ghost boards. The whole area is bloody eerie enough in the first place, without adding an extra layer of terror.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home